Collision Damage Waiver and Insurance

What does the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) reduce my liability to?

Depending on your vehicle, the CDW reduces your liability to $1000 or $400 depending on the type of vehicle that you hire.

Standard liability for Buses, Trucks and 4WDs is $7000.

People Movers and 4×2 utes  $5000.

Cars $3500.

Does the CDW cover me for all accidents?

There are a few instances that you may not be covered. Some examples include; water submersion, over head damage, major under body damage or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and / or undertaking in any illegal activity whilst driving.
Our insurance company will deem what is and isn’t covered as per our policy.

Are the vehicles insured?

Yes, all our vehicles have comprehensive insurance with ‘Insuret’.
Be aware that some multi national car rental companies do not insure their vehicles, but we do!

Can I reduce my liability to $0?

No, unfortunately our insurance does not allow for us to reduce the liability on the vehicles to zero.

Drivers information, Licence Requirements

I am under 21 years old. Can I drive the vehicle?

Unfortunately any person under the age of 21 is not covered by our insurance and cannot drive the vehicles.

I’m over 21 but I am still on P plates. Can I drive the vehicle?

No, unfortunately all drivers must hold a Full Licence. No one with a Probationary Licence can drive our vehicles. Exceptions for employees may apply so please call to confirm.

Can I have additional drivers?

Our rental agreement allows you to have up to two different drivers per vehicle at no extra cost. Driver must be listed on the rental agreement to be insured.
Multiple drivers are allowed in accordance with our Terms and Conditions for business use only.

What licence do I need to have to drive a mini bus truck?

To drive some our vehicles, you will require an endorsed licence.

  • 22 Seater – Light Rigid Licence
  • 25 Seater – Light Rigid Licence
  • 6 Metre Furniture truck – Medium Rigid Licence
  • 4×2 Single Cab Tray Truck – Medium Rigid Licence
  • 4×4 Dual Tip Truck – Light Rigid.

What am I responsible for as a renter?

From the time you collect your vehicle you and your nominated driver (as per your rental agreement), are financially responsible for any loss or damage to the vehicle. This includes damage caused outside of your control including storm damage and hail.

Locations, Office hours, Parking etc

Where is Turnbull’s Hire located?

We have three depots in Gippsland located in Traralgon, Sale and Yarram, as well as depots in Pakenham and Tullamarine. Delivery is available to most suburbs of Melbourne with a small fee. Free Delivery for hires 4 days or more. Locations such as Avalon Airport, Port Melbourne, South Melbourne, Doncaster, Docklands, Dandenong, Caulfield, Box Hill, Sunshine, Footscray, Coburg, Preston, Chadstone, Richmond, Moorabbin and Springvale. We can also deliver to Bairnsdale for bookings of 7 days or longer is also available as well as Dandenong for two days or more and can deliver intestate for bookings over 28 days. All reservations and logistics are done from our Head Office in Traralgon.

Show more

What are the office hours?

In Pakenham you can pick up the vehicle from 8am through til 5pm 7 days a week.

In Tullamarine you can pick up the vehicle from 7am through till 7pm 7 days a week and also take advantage of our shuttle bus if you are flying into Melbourne/Tullamarine Airport during our office hours.

In Traralgon, Sale and Yarram pick up is from 8am until 5.30pm Monday to Friday. On Saturdays pick up is from 8am until 12pm. After hours drop off, before hours pick up and Sunday hires are available upon request.

Sale and Yarram are also open for pick up of vehicles from 8:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday.

After hours drop off, before hours pick up and Sunday hires are available upon request at all of our locations.

Show more

Is there a secure spot where I can leave my vehicle at your premises whilst I hire a vehicle?

There is secure parking at our Pakenham depot where your vehicle can be locked in our premises. On street parking is also available at all other locations.

Am I able to do a one-way trip between your locations?

Yes, however a fee may apply. Please contact our friendly staff for more information.

Do you deliver vehicles?

We can deliver to most suburbs of Melbourne including Avalon Airport for bookings of 4 days or more. We can also deliver to Bairnsdale for bookings of 7 days, and everywhere else in Victoria for a minimum of a 28 day hire. Small drop off fees may also apply depending on the location. We can also deliver interstate depending on the location and the hire duration. Please contact our friendly staff for more information.

Towing & Fuel

Can any of the vehicles tow? And what are their limits?

All our 4wds have towbars – But only a few have an electric brake unit.  Please call to confirm.

Some of our buses  have towbars, including the 12, 22 and 25 seater buses.

However  people movers , small cars and Furniture Trucks do NOT have towbars.

The towing capacity for each vehicle is dependent on the towbar rating, and we can supply electric brake systems for a fee when asked.

What type of fuel do the vehicles take?

Most of our commercial vehicles vehicles are Diesel

Smaller vehicles are usually petrol.

But please check your vehicle before filling up. If in doubt , please call us to confirm.

Vehicle Seating, Specifications, Child restraints

Do the vehicles have air conditioners?

Yes all our vehicles have air conditioners.

Do the vehicles have seatbelts?

All vehicles are equipped with seatbelts.

Do all the vehicles have child restraints?

No , so please call to discuss the options available


Do the Moving/Furniture Trucks come provided with ropes, trolleys, blankets and hydraulic tailgate?

All of our trucks come with a hydraulic tailgate and trolley free of charge. You will need to supply your own blankets and ropes. Vehicles are also equipped with tie down rails.

Smoking and Cleaning

Can I smoke in a hire vehicle?

Government regulations do not permit smoking in any of the hire vehicles.

A $200 fine if found smoking inside the vehicle applies.

We also enforce a $100 cleaning fine.

Do we need to bring back the vehicles clean?

We ask all customers to return the vehicles in a clean state free of any bottles and rubbish. Cleaning fees will apply if vehicle has been smoked in or has been returned in an unacceptable state. Vehicles do not have to be washed on the outside.

Toll Roads

For information regarding Toll Road usage charges.

We have a nationwide tolling agreement with RMS .

The customer will be required to pay the toll usage in accordance with the rental agreement.

The customer can NOT use their own etag or toll account as it will cause conflict with the tolling system.

A $35 admin fee per Toll Notification invoice will apply if we are unable to charge the credit card provided  .